So you have a Google Chromecast but you find that you are limited in what you are able to do with it, or i should say you thought you were limited. This is going to be a series of post so make sure you subscribe as the apps change daily/weekly. Remember that you also have the ability to cast a Chrome tab to your TV and even cast your entire desktop (Experimental Beta), if you would like to know how it will be below the apps.
The built in apps for the Chromecast can be found here
Red Bull TV, Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, Pandora, YouTube, Google Play TV & Movies, Google Play Music,
Vevo (new), Songza (new), Plex (new), PostTV (new), Viki (New), RealPlayer Cloud (new)
Now for the Other apps that are out or in development:
- Gallery Cast – You can cast your local photos and videos (ad supported)
- WatzOnTV – An online TV service that you cast to your TV. (I haven’t used this yet but the reviews aren’t that great but give it a shot its free).
- Dayframe – Offers more than local image casting and you can use your Google+ feeds, Instragram, Twitter, Facebook and a lot more. You interact with the images, can plus, like and share from your phone all while they are on the big screen. Dayframe is free but you will need to upgrade to Pro to utilize the Chromecast features.
- Mono (Online Music Player) - Mono is for discovering and listening to music. It gives you access to the entire world of artists, their releases, their top tracks, their media. You can configure music sources for playback, including your local files, SoundCloud and of course YouTube (Google Music is temporarily broken) either on your device or on Chromecast. You can view artist bios, images, events, similar artists and can build playlists easily and share them. Start today with a free 21-day trial, after which you can continue with a minimal in-app subscription ($0.99/yr) that includes a further 7 days free.
- PodCast Addict - With Podcast Addict, manage all your audio & video Podcasts as well as your YouTube channels and News feeds from your Android device.
Subscribe to your favorite podcasts using the embedded networks (5by5, ABC, AfterBuzz TV, BBC, CBC, Channel 9 (MSDN), CNN, ESPN, FrogPants, LibriVox, NPR, Revision3, Smodcast, Twit, …).
- Cast Player - Now you can watch movies on Chrome and control (play, pause, etc) from your mobile device.
- Juice for Chromecast - (Really Good) - Did you just take some pictures or videos on your Android device and want to share them with everyone else in the room? Juice for Chromecast is the easiest way to send those photos, videos and even music to your Chromecast connected TV. You do not need to sign up for any service or use an external server. All you need is this app and a Chromecast device.
(Note: the app is free to try. An in-app purchase of $2.99 will unlock all the features)
- Cast for Muzei - Cast beautiful wallpapers from Chromecast directly on your Android phone via Cast for Muzei!
More to come so please check back……
Tags: Chrome Cast
, Chromecast Apps