I have been testing Windows 8.1 since the preview came out and just wanted to note some things I’ve seen so far so everyone else will know.
1. The windows start button is a joke but Microsoft is not going to bring back the whole start menu like before. The start button simply goes to the metro (smart) tiles. So if your waiting for Windows 8.1 before you make the switch then you now know. If you want the ole classic start menu back then I recommend that you use Classic Shell. This acutally brings back the start menu like it was in Windows 7 and you can also customize it some. Something to note is that Classic Shell is free…. can’t beat that.
2. Workplace Join - A Windows 8 PC was either domain joined or not. If it was a member of the domain, the user could access corporate resources (if permission is granted) and IT could control the PC through group policy and other mechanisms. This feature allows a middle ground between all or nothing access, allowing a user to work on the device of their choice and still have access to corporate resources With Workplace Join, IT administrators now have the ability to offer finer-grained control to corporate resources. If a user registers their device, IT can grant some access while still enforcing some governance parameters on the device.
3. Work Folders – This feature will allow a user to sync data to their device from a user folder located in a corporate data center.
4. Open MDM – With Windows 8.1 you can use the OMA-DM API agent to allow management of devices with popular mobile device management products like Mobile Iron and Air Watch. My only hopes is that Microsoft will allow the MDM companies to allow windows store app pushes. A corporate app store would also be nice to follow suite with Apple.
5. Wi-Fi Direct Printing – Connected to Wi-Fi direct printers without having to add drivers…. (you know like apple air printers)
6. Native Miracast Wireless Display – This is a great feature but you have to have a wireless projector to take full advantage.
7. Windows To Go -With Windows To Go in Windows 8.1, the Windows Store is enabled by default. Windows To Go users may roam to any number of machines and access the Windows Store and use Windows Store apps.
8. Broadband Tethering - Turn your Windows 8.1 mobile broadband-enabled PC or tablet into a personal Wi-Fi hotspot, allowing other devices to connect and access the internet.
9. Auto-triggered VPN- When you select an app or resource that needs access through the inbox VPN – like a company’s intranet site – Windows 8.1 will automatically prompt you to sign in with one click. This feature will be available with Microsoft and third-party inbox VPN clients.
10. Variable, Continuous Size of Snap Views - You have more ways to see multiple apps on the screen at once. You can resize apps to nearly infinite sized windows, share the screen between two apps, or have up to three apps on each monitor.
11. Boot to Desktop- We have made configuration options available which will allow you to boot directly to the desktop in Windows 8.1.
12. Desktop and Start Screen - Improvements have been made to better support users who prefer a mouse and keyboard experience to access applications.
For a full list of all the features please visit the source below…
, Windows 8
, Windows 8.1